November Male Health Awareness Month: Marijuana, CBD and Cancer
Happy November! In honor of Male Health Awareness month, lets talk about Marijuana and CBD and how they can support those with prostate and testicular cancer.
- Testicular cancer is cancer of the testicles that are responsible for male reproduction. It occurs when cancer cells form in one or both testicles. These cells begin to change and grow uncontrollably and can form a mass or tumor. The cells can also invade the blood stream and lymph system. If they spread this can lead to tumors in other areas of the body. This is called metastases.
- 1 in 250 men receive a diagnosis of testicular cancer in his lifetime between ages 15-40 years old.
- Prostate cancer is one that begins in the gland found in men below the bladder.
The gland produces part of the fluid contained in semen, and the urethra, or the tube that urine travels through, and goes through its center. This cancer can spread and migrate to bone marrow, causing severe and chronic pain. Or, it can reach the spinal cord, interfering with mobility, bladder function and bowel movements. As with any disease, it is important to catch -it early on.
- 1 in 9 men receive a diagnosis of prostate cancer during his lifetime between age 35-65.
Common treatments for testicular cancer include:
- radiation therapy
- orchiectomy (removal of the cancerous testicle)
- lymph node surgery
The two common treatments for prostate cancer are:
- and radiation therapy.
Some of the common side effects of these combined are:
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Loss of Appetite
- Inflammation of the digestive tract
- Hair loss
- Mouth sores
- Bowel obstruction
Marijuana, CBD and Cancer
So how can marijuana help? Marijuana and CBD can treat testicular cancer by improving a man’s overall quality of life by giving him back his appetite, reducing nausea, and reducing pain associated with chemotherapy.
The recommended ways of ingestion for his testicular cancer are through topicals, smoking, vaping, oils, edibles, pills, and tinctures.
With prostate cancer marijuana can actually reduce the tumor pressure, this will reduce the pain associated with larger tumors. It can also improve appetite, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and lack of sleep.
- The recommended ways of ingestion for prostate cancer include, capsules, sprays, edibles, vaporization, drinks, suppositories, and capsules.
Currently, there are not enough scientific studies out there that show evidence that marijuana can help with prostrate or testicular cancer. However some would say that what we do have, is more than enough reason to recommend using marijuana and/or CBD. We have a number of true-life testimonies and real stories from real people all over the world utilizing cannabis and CBD oil as an anti-cancer treatment and as a way to support with the symptoms that come with male cancers such as prostate and testicular cancer.
Neuropathic Pain, Marijuana, CBD and Cancer
A few studies have shown that marijuana can be helpful treating neuropathic pain caused by nerve damage. In addition, scientists have also found that THC and other cannabinoids can actually slow the growth and of certain types of cancer cells growing in lab dishes. Furthermore, there is also research on animals that would suggest certain cannabinoids can hinder the growth of certain cancer and inhibit them from spreading. We already know that CBD contains neuro-protective properties from our previous posts.
Marijuana can also help with emotions associated with diagnosis and the stressful journey that can come with a cancer diagnosis. Besides, it can relieve anxiety and depression associated with chronic illness giving the patient an overall better sense of well-being.
Now with all of that, we hope this gives you or someone you love an opportunity to live a better, more comfortable life through the gift of cannabis.